19 September, 2008

The Scobie-Kombucha Adventure

September chronicles of Kombucha harvesting take 1. I would love to take this time to talk about the benefits and joys of kombucha as a drink, as a practice, harvesting, and more. That will have to happen in a little while after I pull together some research and you will find it on my nutrition blog: http://treenips.blogspot.com For now, I just want to mention the adventures that transpired. Michael and I decided to harvest our scobie today and make more kombucha. It had been quite some time since we'd harvested last and the scobie was so huge it wouldn't fit through the mouth of the jar!!!! This scobie just continued to grow. We tried folding it, bending it, squishing it, and eventually Michael started stabbing it. While I'm well aware that it is a living organism, it had to be done.
It didn't look possible... what were we going to do?
And before I forget to mention it.... we have a few more jars to harvest still:

No comments: